Saturday, November 9, 2013

Experimenting with Dry Ice


A few weeks ago, my friends had a blast investigating dry ice and making ice cream using liquid nitrogen.  When dry ice is placed in warm water, it immediately, starts to turn into carbon dioxide gas and water vapor, forming a really cool cloud, which is safe to touch and feel.  My friends were fascinated observing how the cloud spilled over the edge of the bowl.  We discussed how dry ice can be used as part of theater productions and performances to create a foggy effect. Through the process of investigation, I attempt to scaffold my friend's learning by asking questions,
providing hints and modeling, as needed. Research has shown that experiences with new types of activities or stimulation can generate growth in the brain within only a few hours after the experiences begin.  By giving my students varied activities and many new experiences, I feel confident that they are making new "brain connections".   I hope you can take time to celebrate all the new learning and growth that takes place this amazing year. 
 
 

*Important Reminder: Dry ice will burn.  Only an adult using protective gloves should handle dry ice. The clouds are harmless, however students should never directly touch dry ice. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment