Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Value in Unexpected Lessons

Mrs. Lejeune is as sweet as honey! She presented me with a jar of yummy mountain honey with the honeycomb inside from a recent trip she took to Tennessee. Before I brought this amazing product home to enjoy for myself, I decided it would be a wonderful learning experience to share with my friends. The honey with comb inside provided us an awesome opportunity to observe, question, explore, taste and much more.  My friends agreed the honey tasted sweet and was so delicious. They loved exploring the comb with different magnifying glasses.  We learned that a honeycomb is a mass of hexagonal wax cells built by honeybees in their nests to contain their larvae and stores of honey and pollen.  We concluded by writing about this awesome experience.  This gift supplied wonderful writings, vocabulary expansion, experimentation, questioning, etc...  "Higher-order” thinking questions require my friends to apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information instead of simply recalling facts.  I am a planner, but I've learned to stop and take time for unexpected learning experiences.  They can be the best!  Until next time enjoy your kindergartners. I sure am enjoying mine!
                                      





No comments:

Post a Comment